We finally made it to Grenada!

If you take into account all three of our starts to Grenada, from St. Martin, Guadeloupe and St. Lucia, it took us 30 days, 23 hours and 10 minutes to get here. The last run from St. Lucia was scheduled to take around 24 hours. We made it just under that with 23 hours and 10 minutes. The trip was pleasant and no surprises.

We arrived around 07:20am and docked at the designated Quarantine Dock in Port Louie Marina as required. The officials arrived around 08:00am and processed us in. A little paperwork and a temperature check to make sure we were not running a fever. We then proceeded to the designated Quarantine Anchorage where we would remain for our two week quarantine. The anchorage is quite large so there is plenty of room but holding is hit or miss. After setting the hook, Renée swam out to verify that the anchor was firmly set on the bottom. She said the bottom was quite hard with a lot of coral, but the anchor seemed like it was in good.

After our second day, the wind picked up to around 30 knots and all of the boats in the anchorage were stretched out on their chain. From the looks of our anchor alarm watch program we use, it appeared that we may have drug about 35 feet and I did not like how close were had gotten to the catamaran anchored behind us. So we decided to move forward into an open spot that was a little shallower and reset our anchor. We remained here for the remainder of our two week quarantine without incident.

The worse part of quarantine is that you are unable to leave 5KNOTS and go ashore. This means that every meal must be prepared on the boat using whatever provisions you have aboard. Knowing that we were leaving 5KNOTS on the hard for several months, we decided to use up all of our canned goods prior to leaving for the USA. In the picture you can see a typical breakfast, SPAM and beans. We add home fried potatoes and a couple of eggs to round out the meal.

After fourteen days, we received our email notifying us as to our time to come to shore so that we could be tested. There were 118 cruisers that were scheduled to be tested on our day. Our slot was at 9:30am and by the time we were processed, tested and then cleared customs, it was after noon. We were both tested using the rapid COVID-19 test and both tested negative. We had lunch at the restaurant located in the marina and then went into town to pick up a few boat supplies and groceries.

With all of the craziness happening back in the USA along with increase in people that have been tested positive for COVID-19, we do not know when we might be able to get a flight back to the USA. All of the Caribbean islands have the USA on a NO-FLY list because they do not want to bring in more illness. We are listed with the US Embassy and are notified when a repatriation flight comes available. Basically, when you are notified of a flight, you only have a couple of days notice. So we want to make sure all of our projects are in order and 5KNOTS is in a condition that we can just leave her.

We spent 5 days living on 5KNOTS in the yard and that was enough. It is very hot and the mosquitoes are horrible. We figured we would need 3-4 weeks to get everything sorted out so Renée found an apartment we could rent that was 1.1 miles away, just a short 20 minute walk to the boatyard.

The apartment is located in a building that has a print shop located on the first floor, the print shop owners live on the 2nd, apartments are on the 3rd, the 4th has a 24 hour fitness center, the 5th has more apartments and then there is a rooftop patio. The patio is one of our favorite places to go, nice views of the harbor, the street below and plenty of good breezes. The apartment is spacious, has a television with Netflix, WiFi and large windows with screens to let in the breezes. We are so happy to have been able to find it and makes life away from the boat much better. It is about half way between the boatyard and town where we go for supplies and groceries.

We stopped for lunch at the West Indies Brewery on one of our trips to town. They have a good variety to select from and reasonable priced. We usually get fish, hamburger or pizza, all are excellent choices. We make the IGA (grocery store) our last stop in order to be able to carry our groceries back. We treat ourselves to a taxi on the way back to transport all our groceries and anything else we grabbed along the route.

Here in Grenada, you must wear masks when out in public and you are required to wash your hands whenever entering the stores. The chandlery at the boatyard and many other stores in town require you to sign in so that they can track where you have been. They also want to know where you are staying while on the island.

It appeared that Grenada was right in the path of hurricane Gonzalo so we needed to take a few extra precautions. The sails were already down and stored but we had to remove the dodger and Bimini canvasses, secure the remaining lines, secure the wind generator and remove the ladder. We grabbed some last minute grocery items and planned to stay in the apartment for a couple of days until the storm passed. However, Gonzalo decided to basically travel due west rather than turn northwest. This meant that it passed over Trinidad and spared Grenada. All we got here was a little bit of wind and a lot of rain. We got out and checked on 5KNOTS the next day. All was good. Today we went back and reinstalled the dodger and Bimini in order to keep some shade on the boat.

We are in the process of boxing up all of the winter clothes and extra items we have been carrying for the past 4 years and haven’t needed since we left the USA. The plan is to ship them back to Tennessee and be ready to catch a flight back to Florida should one become available. We are registered with the US Embassy here in Grenada and will be notified should a repatriation flight become available. So far there have been two flights that left Grenada in the past month. Both went to Puerto Rico where you have to change planes and take another to Miami. We are hoping one will be available in the next week or two and when it does we want to make sure we are ready and can take it. The other concern is that should we get back to the USA, will we be able to return next year to sail back? Guess we will figure that out when the time comes.

Wish us luck!